Multiple stories about vegetarians
[Research #1] Vegetarians don't eat animal flesh?
1. (From various resources) Types of vegetarian
1) Flexitarian (Semi-vegetarian)
You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. A pollo vegetarian avoids red meat and fish but eats chicken.
2) Pescatarian
Pescatarians are those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.
3) Lacto-ovo vegetarian
When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians. People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products are lacto-ovo vegetarians (“lacto” comes from the Latin for milk, and “ovo” for egg).
4) Vegan
Vegans do not eat meat of any kind and also do not eat eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin, sugar and some wines. There is some debate as to whether certain foods, such as honey, fit into a vegan diet.
5) Raw vegan
A raw vegan diet consists of unprocessed vegan foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). Raw foodists believe that foods cooked above this temperature lost a significant amount of their nutritional value and are harmful to the body.
[Research #2] Vegetarian diet is unhealthy?
1. (Community page) Vegetarian diet is key to long life
- Vegetarians are at a lower risk for many of the common illnesses associated with a reduced life span in the developed world (e.g. Obesity, Hypertention, Cancer, and so on)
- Reducing the intake of an essential amino acid, methionine, can produce similar results to reducing calories on longevity of life span
- Low-fat vegan diet effectively reduces IGF-1, potentially slowing the aging process in humans
- A plant-based diet is a strategy to treat and prevent childhood obesity
(http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Vegetarian_Diet_Is_Key_to_Long_Life)
2. (Community page) Cons : There are potential dangers of vegetarianism
- Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids can be lacking
- Pregnant vegan woman may also be advised to take certain supplements during their pregnancy and while breast feeding
- If vegan diets are so restrictive, it could be hard for children to get an adequate amount of protein
(http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Dangers_of_Veganism)
[Research #3] Vegetarians are hypocrites-hypocrisy
1. (Personal Blog post) A look at the hypocrisy of vegetarians and their misguided beliefs
Some people just don’t like the idea of animals getting killed. So they take the so-called moral high ground and make bold statements like “meat is murder” and the such. It does not make sense that the dignities of life between animal and plant are different. Moreover, humans are not vegetarian by nature, nor are we carnivores.
(http://planethysteria.com/blog/2009/10/19/a-look-at-the-hypocrisy-of-vegetarians-and-their-misguided-beliefs/)
2. (Article) Eating less meat isn’t just better for you, it’s better for the planet, panel says
A lot of vegetarians are just the ones who are trying to reduce the amount of the consumption of meat. They know that meat-eating is natural essential in some sense. But, because the problem of eating too much meat is being issued, they are just trying to help the ecosystem keep the balance. They usually do not force meat-eaters to stop eating meat, because it is their personal choice.
(http://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/08/the-point/eating-less-meat-isnt-just-better-for-you-its-better-for-the-earth-panel-says/)
- Vegetarians are at a lower risk for many of the common illnesses associated with a reduced life span in the developed world (e.g. Obesity, Hypertention, Cancer, and so on)
- Reducing the intake of an essential amino acid, methionine, can produce similar results to reducing calories on longevity of life span
- Low-fat vegan diet effectively reduces IGF-1, potentially slowing the aging process in humans
- A plant-based diet is a strategy to treat and prevent childhood obesity
- Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids can be lacking
- Pregnant vegan woman may also be advised to take certain supplements during their pregnancy and while breast feeding
- If vegan diets are so restrictive, it could be hard for children to get an adequate amount of protein
I knew that there exists some kinds of vegetarians, but I could know by reading this blog post, there are various vegetarians, and their standards(?) for eating vegetables. And vegan especially interests me, because vegan seems follow the most typical vegetarians; only eating plants, not even dairy products, eggs. But I came up with some questions, their creeds? If their creeds are based on the fact that killing an animal is a bad thing, then how about killing plants for eating them? I think there exists some kinds of contradictions, so I think vegan should not give the reasons of being vegan that they value living things and so on. Rather, they should find their reasons from other sources: nutritious value, personal taste, and so on.
답글삭제작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
답글삭제작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
답글삭제I thought that all vegetarians are good people because they reduce the number of killed animals. Then when I read a blog post "A look at the hypocrisy of vegetarians and their misguided beliefs", I was surprised of poster's idea-If their creeds are based on the fact that killing an animal is a bad thing, then how about killing plants for eating them? After reading the blog, I could change my thought. They(vegetarians) don't eat meat because they don't want to see animal's blood or they want to be a healthy person, etc. Most of them have their creeds, but the creeds are just thoughts, not real. Also, I think God makes people eat all kind of food, so eating meat is not bad thing. In a similar example, lions have to kill pitiful animals for their survival. Eating meat is just natural.
답글삭제Firstly, thanks for your detail information about the categories of vegetarians. I vaguely knew that there are some differences between each stages of vegetarians, but thanks to your information, it was a good chance for me to know clearly. And also for me, the most interesting story was about "A look at the hypocrisy of vegetarians and their misguided beliefs". So far, I thought unconsciously that vegetarians would care only about animals' lives, but not about plants' lives. And truely, I thought this matter has some kind of controversial points. People generally tend to think that dignity of animals is more important than that of plants. Of course we can judge that to some extent, but actually it is very difficult to exactly weigh the importantness between animal and plants. And it was surprising to see a vegetarian who thinks that what vegetarian persuades is not totally depending to the dignity of animals. Interesting! :)
답글삭제작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
답글삭제Before I read research #1, I think that vegetarians are people who just don’t eat meat, but there are many kinds of vegetarians (one just eats plan, other one eats chicken, fish and even red meat sometimes.). This give me a lot of information. And research #3 that is about hypocrites is interesting. When I hear the word life, I usually come up with moving animals. So I don’t raise a objection about vegetarians’ opinion that vegetarianism is more life-friendly. But after reading the post, I realize that there is no difference between animal and plant in terms of life. Thank you for your information.
답글삭제작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
답글삭제I knew several types of vegetarians existed according to whether they ate dairy products or not, but I never knew that they had this many types. Also, it was very interesting to learn that Homo sapiens was biologically a herbivore. I was surprised after reading Article 1 in Research 3, because I have never thought of plants in that way. It was sort of shocking to consider eating plants the same wasy as eating animals and calling it 'murder'. Overall, it was a extremely interesting read. Thanks for all the information!
답글삭제I think I am a flexitarian! I eat boiled eggs and some bananas every day and I often eat meat and fish. I learned that there are many different vegetarians. I think eating only unprocessed vegan foods is harsh but I respect it. It was interesting eating vegetable may impact much less than eating meat. I never thought about that. I agree with this kind of view. Everyone has a right to choose what they eat but it will be great to think about the whole planet when eating. Nice posting! Thank you!!!
답글삭제I read from an article that vegan is rather a political practice than a dietary practice. Since it is hard to find vegetarian in Korea, such problem does not arise, but in other countries, vegans attend many political gathering and voice their opinion on animal rights. Thus, vegetarians, espeically vegans, are not only bound to a diet but to one's belief.
답글삭제블로그 관리자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
답글삭제As a biology-related major student, the first material of research #2 was very interesting to me. Two points were very fascinating: about methionine and human being more likely to herbivores.
답글삭제First, about methionine. Met(I will use Met referring to methionine) is an essential amino acid, and it is used as the first amino acid in every protein synthesis process. In other words, Met is a key amino acid for protein synthesis in human body. So, I thought that decreasing Met intake would affect the rate of protein synthesis hence may cause bad effect to body. However, according to the material, decreased Met intake was good for the health.
Secondly, about human being more like herbivore. Most herbivore in the Earth, especially those called as ruminants, have an enzyme called 'cellulase' which is responsible for digestion of cellulose, a major component of every plants. However, human does not have this enzyme. I think this can be a counter-fact for the statement 'human is more like to herbivores' because lack of cellulase means that human does use plant or vegan dietaries as the major source of energy source. Therefore, I think that it would be better to have more strong evidences for this statement.
Number 1 of research #3 indicates interesting points! Before I read it, I thought some people said "vegetarians are hypocrites!" because they often gave up their plan or faith 'I never eat meat!' in their private place. But it was not the point! haha.
답글삭제When I was young, I watched a TV program where vegetarians participated as guest. One of the guests talked about why she started life of vegetarian. It was about moral reason. I felt so bad because she despised meat-eating people regarding as murders and the immoral. I thought it is inevitable choice to get energy from nature.
The writer might post number 1 of research #3 in similar view.
What I knew about the vegetarians was just vegan. I didn't know that there were some various kinds of vegetarians, especially semi-vegetarians. As shown in Blog Post #1, it was quite interesting that you showed us about the nutritional facts about the vegetarians. And this time, there was also some cons. It made me think that the research you prepared was quite helpful and trustworthy. Also, panel saying that eating less meat for the environment was quite shocking since I didn't considered the environmental factor of vegetarians. I heard a book about this, and it would be a much more nicer post if you introduce this kind of book. Thanks!
답글삭제What I really surprised with was the different kind of vegetarians that exist in this world. I had a stereotype that vegetarians only eat vegetables and doesn't even touch any meat but actually that was not true. Related to the health part mostly the articles and people voices who are vegetarians say that the meal is healthy. But as a major related to medical information doctors don't really recommend that habit style. I want to know the reason and who's opinion is right. The rest of the info were so nice to know about vegetarians. Thanks!
답글삭제Wow! There are MANY types of vegetarians! I'm impressed. I understand the meanings of the words, but I don't know why they are classified into such groups. I'm sorry but I think it's quite meaningless to 'group the group'. Doesn't it make more confusions? No offense, just curious;;
답글삭제Research#3
I agree to the writer of 'hypocrisy of vegetarian'. The lives of vegetables have equal value as those of animals.
Article 2 reminds me of a good point of view. Vegetarian for the earth! Interesting. Thanks.
I am very impressed that you posted some of the researches that are actually opposing to vegans or vegetarians. I was really impressed by the article that says vegans are hypocrytes. Bt reading that article, I think I could get a more balanced view towards the vegetarians. Also, I notice that by eating vegetarian meals, we ca actually be helpful to the Earth. To add, I recently read the article that the methane gas that cow is emmiting to the air is much more dangerous that carbondyoxide for the global warming. I think we should get into vegitarianism inorder to save our earth!
답글삭제