Interview Questionnaire
Interview Goals
- How interviewee feels about the stereotypes
- Clarify misunderstanding-might have different views of themselves
- How stereotypes affect daily life for interviewee
- Personal efforts to break the stereotypes
- If interview experiences differ in different places/countries
- What you want the general public to know about your subculture
- Don’t have to stick to the questions strictly
[Introductory Questions]
① How long have you lived as a vegetarian?
② We discovered that vegetarians can be classified into numerous types according to how they substitute meat-protein. To what type do you fall into?
(Remember to present example categories; lacto, vegan, pesco etc.)
③ As you mentioned earlier, you have lived as a vegetarian for N years. Are you comfortable with being an openly vegetarian? If you are/aren’t, Why is that so?
④ Depends on the interviewee’s reply to question③
∙Yes, I openly say~ → So you mean you’ve never felt any uncomfortable labels attached to vegetarians? Or do you just don’t care? If you think there are any negative labels, please tell us about it.
∙No, I don’t openly say~ → So you mean you have felt uncomfortable labels attached to vegetarians? What were they?
[Category 1 Nutrition and Health]
① Did your body go through some physical changes after going on a vegetarian diet?
(Stereotype; vegetarians are skinny)
② You previously told us that you are XX(type) vegetarian! So how do you replace meat-protein with?
(Stereotype; vegetarians consume less or no protein)
③ Where do you get vegetarian recipes?(Stereotype; vegetarians eat raw-food)
④ What is your favorite recipe and what do your friends think about it?
(Stereotype; vegetarian foods are not delicious)
[Category 2 Socialization]
① So do you eat out a lot with others or DIY your meal alone?
*Bridge Q: Category 1→2
Former/Latter→ So you do/don’t socialize with other non-vegetarian people often. Do you find it easy to share mealtimes with them?
② Is there any difficulties socializing with non-vegetarians? If so, what are they?
(stereotype; vegetarians find it hard to enjoy daily social life)
③ Do you participate in vegetarian meetings?
(stereotype; vegetarians only mingle within their boundaries)
④ Depends on the interviewee’s reply to question③
∙Yes, I do → What are the merits of participating in those meetings?
∙No, I don’t → Why are you not part of it? Tell us the reason.
[Category 3] Creed
① Some people think vegetarians are overly sensitive. Do you agree/disagree?
Did you personally went through psychological changes after going on a vegetarian diet?(Stereotype; vegetarians are picky/choosey/nervous/sensitive)
② Why did you decide to become a vegetarian?
③ Did you ever wanted to give up? If so, was it because of external issues or internal issues?
*internal issues; personal matter
*external issues; social labels stereotypes etc.
④ What do you think about meat-eaters(general public)? (stereotype; vegetarians hate human while they love animals/ vegetarians prioritize animals to humankind)

I initially thought about vegetarians only about their eating vegetables, and so mainly about nutritious and health. But after I read these interview questions, I found that many other factors about being vegetarians can exist: socialization, creed, and so on. And I can think about being vegetarian can be hard thing, because it is related to one's own faith. So I may think differently other than before about vegetarian, having a strong faith about their choice of being a vegetarian. :)
답글삭제I've never come across the idea that vegetarians have difficult time socializing with others. I acknowledge the fact that eating is very important for a human and that eating together is same as sharing their lives. Thus, I completely understand how such stereotype can arise, but I am dumbfounded that the stereotype can reach to such serious level.
답글삭제I thought being a vegetarian did not really affect one's social life and it was just a choice, just as muslims cannot eat pork. But i never actually thought that being a vegetarian can mean difficulty in socializing with others. Come to think of it, it may even be more logical, as one eats 3 times a day and with "restrictions" on what ine can eat, it may cause some difficulty socializing with others. However, coming from a country with multiple races, multiple eating restrictions and alot of vegetarians, i am still rather surprised that the stereotype can reach such extremes.
답글삭제